Ichthyology, Aquatic Ecology, Conservation Biology
A century-old bigmouth buffalo
Precision & Accuracy
Age analysis of fishes using otoliths (“earstones”): thin-sectioned otoliths and bomb radiocarbon age validation.
Understanding the life histories of the underappreciated species in our midst.
- Communications Biology (2019): Bigmouth Buffalo Ictiobus cyprinellus sets freshwater teleost record as improved age analysis reveals centenarian longevity
- North American Journal of Fisheries Management (2019). Otolith‐based age estimates of Alligator Gar assessed using bomb radiocarbon dating to greater than 60 years.
- National Geographic: 112-year-old fish has broken a longevity record
- MPR: New appreciation for a Minnesota fish long considered junk
- Star Tribune: Record catch: At 112 years, Minnesota fish is the oldest freshwater fish ever verified